An informative speech is difficult enough to perform successfully without bringing the concept of fun into things. But with a little foresight, you can make your speech into something which both engages and teaches the audience, whilst also making them laugh and have a good time. Here’s how to think up funny informative speech topics.
Not every funny topic has to turn the speech into an open mic night. You can add humour to practically anything. As long as it’s not a sombre or depressing topic, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t have the creativity needed to add a few gags and interesting comments.
It’s not about sending your audience into a roaring frenzy. It’s about being able to lighten the mood. By breaking the ice early it increases the chances of good audience participation at the end of the speech when it’s time for questions.
Can you make anything funny?
Not really. As already mentioned, you can’t choose a sombre or serious topic for this type of speech. But what you also have to remember is you can’t start or end on a humorous note if the rest of the speech doesn’t follow the same tone. All it will do is catch the audience of guard and feel awkward.
You don’t necessarily have to have any experience or great skill at making people laugh. Think of funny informative speech topics and you can make your audience without even trying. Pick something everyone has an idea of. Make sure it’s current and mainstream. If a section of the audience laughs, the rest of them will follow.
To help get you started on the challenge of picking an effective topic which both teaches and makes each person laughs, here are 60 varied ideas you can utilise:
1. Funny laws from the past.
2. Hilarious laws from the present.
3. Things you can learn from an idiot.
4. What can you learn by looking at your pet?
5. How should you choose your friends?
6. How to tell a true friend from a faker.
7. Why procrastination is harder than it looks.
8. How to do very little whilst still getting the highest grades.
9. Is it better to be a man or a woman?
10. Childbirth is the most painful experience in the world.
11. Do we really need equal rights?
12. How you shouldn’t give a funny speech.
13. What not to do at an open mic night.
14. The best way to fail at picking up girls.
15. Why a virtual life is better than a real life.
16. How to stalk a stalker.
17. Dealing with a stalker without getting arrest.
18. Why do some adults still use baby talk?
19. What you can learn from a one-year-old.
20. How does a husband differ from a father?
21. The biggest problems teenagers face.
22. How adults differ from children.
23. What someone actually means when they say “It’s not you. It’s me.”
24. Understanding what women really mean.
25. How to turn a bad date into a great date.
26. What men really mean.
27. The most annoying habits of men.
28. The most annoying habits of women.
29. Creative ways of dealing with failure.
30. How to get over the economic recession.
31. Why having patience never works.
32. How to become a politician.
33. How to interact with audiences.
34. What to do when an audience just doesn’t like you.
35. Why greed is always better than generosity.
36. Seeming interested in a boring conversation.
37. How to liven up a party.
38. What not to do during a night on the town.
39. Meeting a world leader.
40. The differences between US and British English.
41. How US and British English spellings differ.
42. Why size zero matters.
43. Beauty pageants and young people.
44. How to look interested in something which is really boring.
45. Getting out of not doing your homework.
46. Things your dog can get you out of.
47. How to not make your in-laws hate you.
48. Interacting with your girlfriend’s father for the first time.
49. Why being super rich isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
50. How to stay out of trouble on the corporate ladder.
51. Why teaching is the worst job in the world.
52. What speechmakers are really thinking when giving their speeches?
53. What advertisements are really trying to say?
54. If Martin Luther King made his speech using the language of the 21st century.
55. How the rest of the world views Americans.
56. What Americans think about the rest of the world?
57. How to dance at a party if you can’t dance.
58. Tactics for not driving the girls away.
59. What the amount of make-up you wear says about you.
60. What your career ambitions say about your personality.