Sometimes choosing a debate topic is not an easy task. You need to consider a lot of things when it comes to your students, and this article covers a few of them for you. You should also remember that the debate should engage the students in some way. Doing this will make your job easier as they will put more effort into their work. Here are a few pointers on how to choose the debate topics.
The curriculum you are supposed to follow
If you pick something that is in the curriculum then you are also helping to teach your students things that will be on their tests, as well as teaching them valuable persuasion tools that they will need to help them in the future.
Your students learning and reasoning level
Highly complex issues should be saved for students who have a high standard of reasoning. If there are lots of aspects to consider then it is unfair to give such a topic to people who will not be able to handle it. They will most likely only come up with a few arguments, and those arguments many not relate to the opposing parties points, which will make the debate stuttered and embarrassing.
Your students access to research material
If your students are going to have a hard time researching the topic, then it will not make for a very good debate. Some topics are beyond the understanding of some students. For example, debating higher-level physics matters within an English class is not likely to yield very productive results.
How much time your students have for the task
Don’t forget that good research takes time. If you set a debate and only give your students a few days to study for it, then it is preferable that you set the debate about something they are studying already, or something that they have already studied. Otherwise, they may not have the time to research and come up with compelling arguments.
1. Are sporting professionals paid too much?
2. School dress codes should be introduced
3. Should students be able to choose their own subjects?
4. Homelessness is the biggest issue in the US
5. Tattoos and body alterations should be subject to regulations
6. Torture is acceptable under the right circumstances
7. The arts are in decline
8. The modern world no longer needs religion
9. Fossil fuels are worse than nuclear power
10. Exams are not an accurate portrayal of student ability
11. The legalization of drugs would decrease organized crime
12. Why do people associate themselves with gangs?
13. Debate whether homosexuality is widespread in the animal kingdom
14. Civil liberty versus safety with gun control
15. Should plastic surgery be outlawed?
16. Free will is a fallacy
17. The first 3 things you would do as president
18. Will humans be capable of terra-forming in the future?
19. Nature is more significant than nurture
20. The media should be held legally accountable for false reporting
21. Is there a Multiverse?
22. Barack Obama has made a good president
23. If you could travel back in time, would it be right to stop bad things from happening?
24. Media and entertainment are promoting unrealistic expectations in students
25. Google is not the best search engine
26. The driving age should be raised to 18
27. Enterprise is the future of space exploration and not public institutions
28. There is no proof to suggest the moon landing was staged
29. Should an embryo have human rights?
30. Schools should teach with video games
31. Science can coexist with religion
32. There is no way to prove that god exists
33. Homework should be banned completely
34. Is Jingoism acceptable?
35. Rights to intellectual property should be eradicated
36. Fiscal stimulus or austerity?
37. Games are better for you than television
38. Wind power is not a good source of energy
39. Social network sites should be age-restricted to over-16s
40. Wikipedia is now a reliable source of information
41. Do employers discriminate against women?
42. Does access to condoms increase rates of sexual activity?
43. Couples should adopt instead of having their own children
44. Is it better to always be truthful?
45. The best ways to protect the rainforest
46. Could it ever be economical to fire junk into space?
47. It is too late to stop global warming?
48. All plastic packaging should be banned
49. What will cities of the future look like?
50. Religious belief makes you happier
51. Reading is more interesting than watching TV
52. Is social media making us less sociable?
53. What is the best way to help stop people smoking?
54. Same sex marriage should be legalized
55. Should computer tablets be allowed in class?
56. What color were the dinosaurs?
57. Which methods of persuasion are best?
58. Does voting really matter?
59. Is home teaching better than school teaching?
60. New technology is reducing the student attention-span